Safety, Trips and Insurance

This page provides important information and resources related to the safe operation of your sports club.

Any club travelling overseas and wish to seek travel insurance through the University scheme, must have registered application forms with the Insurance Department by 4 weeks before you travel, providing the trip risk assessment has been approved by David White. Any applications received after this date may not be considered and trip participants will need to make their own insurance arrangements.

Overseas Sports Trips

Is your club planning an overseas trip (this includes Southern Ireland)?

There are guidelines set down by the Proctors’ and Assessor’s Memorandum (from Appendix E: Regulations of the Rules Committee) – which can be seen by clicking here.

‘Part 4 – Overseas Activities

4.1. (1) No student member shall participate in any sports tours, competitions, or training activities which involve overseas travel during Full Term or the Thursday and Friday immediately preceding Full Term without the prior permission of:

(a) the Senior Tutor or other designated college officer of that member’s college, society, Permanent Private Hall, or other designated institution; and

(b) the Proctors.

(2) The written permission of the Senior Tutor or other designated college officer shall accompany any request to the Proctors.

4.2. No student member shall organise any activity overseas on behalf of any club, society or other organisation registered with the Proctors, whether during term-time or vacation, without applying to the Proctors for permission before any firm commitments are entered into and in any case not less than one calendar month in advance of the proposed date of departure from the United Kingdom. The application for the Proctors’ permission must be accompanied by details of the plans for the activity concerned, including finances. When considering applications the Proctors may take advice as appropriate from the Sports Safety Officer, the Director of Sport, the University Marshal, and committees of the Conference of Colleges.

4.3. Each student member participating in such activities overseas for which permission has been given by the Proctors in accordance with section 4.2 above shall observe any conditions imposed by the Proctors, e.g. relating to the deposit of contact addresses, fulfilment of health, safety, and insurance requirements, and stipulation of coaches, trainers, or Senior Members to accompany the trip.’

In practice, this means that trips abroad apply to:

  • Any club activity which is being conducted under the name of the University of Oxford.
  • Trips publicised at club meetings.
  • Trips publicised on club websites, journals, leaflets and/or notice boards.
  • Trips funded in any way by the University, Sports Federation or the Club.
  • Trips which require the use of equipment owned by the University, Sports Federation or the Club.
  • Trips which require transport arranged through the University Transport Scheme.

So, what does the club have to do?

Click on the following button to Register a Trip or Tour:

Remember, you must give at least six weeks notice. If the trip is during Full Term or the Thursday and Friday immediately preceding Full Term, remember that permission of a student’s College Senior Tutor and of the Proctors’ Office will be needed, so please give as much notice as possible.

The form will be sent to the Sports Safety Officer, David White. You will then be sent an email asking for:

1) Trip Specific Risk Assessment – This is to be specific to your planned trip incorporating details of the hazards associated with the trip, including travel and all the activities planned.

2) Itinerary Form – This will involve setting out a planned day to day itinerary (to include any additional activities, excursions, etc.), contact details for all those going and their next of kin details.

3) Full Travel Insurance – In most cases, it is strongly recommended to take out travel insurance through the University Insurance Department. They offer a bespoke policy at £18 per person. (Note: The trip risk assessment needs to be approved by the Sports Safety Officer before travel insurance will be issued). Application forms must be submitted no later than four weeks before the departure date otherwise they may not be accepted. All application forms need to be signed not only by the applicant but the Trip Organiser. Applications forms may not be accepted if not signed by both parties. Click on the following links for full details:

How to Arrange Insurance

What is covered?

Tour participants can obtain their own travel insurance (travelling on University business) but such policies should be on a par with the benefits of the University scheme.

For any queries regarding a club’s overseas trip, please email the Sports Safety Officer:

David White 

Accident or Incident Reporting

University Sports Clubs who have any major accidents or incidents which result in the call out of the Emergency Services or in a member of the club being detained in ‘hospital’ for treatment ‘away’ from the Iffley Road Sports Complex, are required to complete an Accident Report Form. Accident Report Forms can be completed online and sent to the Sports Safety Officer as soon as is practicable using the email below: –

David White

Any accident or incident occurring at Oxford University Sport, Iffley Road should be reported to the duty staff. They will provide appropriate first aid treatment and complete a report. All Accident Report Forms are forwarded to the University Safety Office.


Please remember you must register your trip with us, regardless of venue and you should take out insurance with the OU Insurance office if you are travelling abroad. Further details available here:

Oxford University Insurance Office Policy

The Insurance Office understand the nature of club trips and works closely with the Sports Safety Officer. They will be clear with cover and ensure should somehing happen you are helped, they will not shirk responsibility place your safety at the forefront.

For more information and guidance please contact the Sports Safety Officer

David White                             01865 611478

Personal Injury Insurance

We urge all members to take out their own personal injury policy. Obviously there is inherent risk in undertaking any sport but please ask questions of yourself when thinking about taking part in your sport, like if you were to lose the use of a limb how would that affect your career prospects? If you are studying for medicine for example and you lost the use of a hand that could be detrimental to your studies and eventual career path. For a relatively small annual fee you can take out your own personal injury and accident insurance that will cover you should the worst happen.

Endsleigh Platinum Policy



Email the Sports Federation at the earliest opportunity if you need further information on the scheme or would like to initiate a claim on You will be asked to complete a claim form and return it to Endsleigh Insurance which we will help you with.

For all questions regarding the health and safety of your club please contact the Sports Safety Officer:

David White                             01865 611478