The scheme ensures that student clubs and societies registered with the Proctors (through the Clubs Committee or Sports Federation) have access to an adequate supply of good quality, safe vehicles at competitive prices. Vehicles are hired under special terms agreed with approved, local hire companies.
Driving a Car (Up to 5 seats)
Drivers must have held their license for at least 1 year and be eligible to drive in the UK. Licenses issued outside of the UK are accepted. Drivers are typically required to drive manual transmission vehicles, however the hire companies have a limited supply of automatic vehicles if required.
Drivers must be registered on the Transport Scheme Driver Database. Sports Federation will validate all requests to drive on the scheme and confirm registration on the database. Drivers will receive a red DriverID card, which must be presented to the hire depot when collecting vehicles. These cards prove registration and insurance through the Transport Scheme. Drivers are registered on the database for 1 year (minibus and MPV drivers are registered for 2 years). Drivers may renew their registration by contacting the Transport Administrator (details at bottom of page).
Minibus and MPV Assessments
Drivers are required to pass a 2-hour driving assessment to drive larger vehicles, including minibuses (14/15 seats) or MPV’s (7/9 seats). During the assessment, the assessor demonstrates the required level of skill and the associated driving techniques, before drivers have the opportunity to practise the techniques themselves – under supervision. If drivers are able to demonstrate the required level of competence by the end of the session, the assessor will recommend the driver for registration on the Transport Scheme Driver Database as a minibus/MPV driver. Alternatively, drivers may be recommended for remedial training. The following applies to drivers who would like to undertake a minibus or MPV assessment:
- Minibus assessment = at least 21 years of age; have held a full, clean (minor endorsements may be acceptable under certain conditions), UK category B (car)/ EU driving licence for a minimum of 2 years (minibuses).
- MPV assessment = at least 19 years of age; have held a full, clean (minor endorsements may be acceptable under certain conditions), UK category B (car)/ EU driving licence for a minimum of 1 year.
- Drivers who successfully complete a minibus assessment are eligible to drive MPVs, but not vice versa.
- Successful minibus drivers are only eligible to drive for sports and societies affiliated Clubs through the Sports Federation Section 19 permits, and not for departmental or college business.
- Van hire – drivers still need to complete an assessment: Short Wheel Based (SWB) vans require successful completion of an MPV assessment; Long Wheel Based (LWB) vans require successful completion of a minibus assessment.
- Drivers will receive a red DriverID card, which must be presented to the hire depot when collecting vehicles. These cards prove registration and insurance through the Transport Scheme. Red DriverID cards may be collected from Sports Federation once the assessment is complete.
The assessment/certification (and registration on the transport database) lasts for 2 years, however this can be extended to 4 years (dependant on driving experience over the 2 year period). Please get in touch with the Transport Administrator to request an extension (details at bottom of page).
Course costs are subsidised for clubs and societies – £30 and £38 per driver, respectively. Departments are charged £70. These fees are invoiced at the end of each term.
Next Assessment Dates
Please email the Transport Administrator to book onto an available session or join the waiting list. Assessments are organised on a term-by-term basis and also during the long vacation.
Minibus Assessment Dates
|MPV Assessment Dates|
|Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waiting list for assessments||Email email@example.com to be added to the waiting list for assessments|
Please contact the Sports Federation Transport Administrator
Tel: 01865 611488
Office: Iffley Road Sports Complex, Oxford University Sport, Jackdaw Lane, Oxford, OX4 1EQ.