Would you like to improve your stroke technique, gain water confidence or just want to get fit? Whatever the reason, sign up for swimming lessons with us!
Group swimming lessons are available for adults and courses range from non-swimmers through to advanced. One-to-one lessons are also available.
- Non-swimmer, beginner, intro to improvers, improvers and advanced groups
- Maximum 6 people per group
- 30 minutes for each lesson for non-swimmer, beginner levels
- 45 minutes for each lesson for intro to improvers, improvers and advanced levels
- Open to non-members
- Evening classes
We try to run the lessons in accordance with the University academic terms, therefore some courses will run for 8 weeks and some will run for 10 weeks where possible.
The classes are very popular and do become fully booked very quickly. Payment must be made at the time of booking. Cancellations within 2 weeks of the course start date will not receive a refund. Refunds are not offered if candidates miss a class.
Please note the pool temperature is 27.5 degrees and, due to the nature of group lessons, there is some waiting involved.
£90 for 9 week course. Lessons take place every Wednesday.
The next set of adult lessons will start in January 2018. Booking and contact information will be made available in due course. Unfortunately, we do not operate a waiting-list system, in our attempts to ensure that all swimmers can be certain of their availability at the time of the course(s).
|Jan 2018 (dates TBC)||TBC||TBC|
Please make sure you arrive 5 minutes prior to your lesson start time every week.
Our outstanding value courses are delivered for four or five days within a given week. The courses are for children aged 4+ and open to our members and non-members children. A large number of these courses are taught as part of an ASA Swim Teacher course, so your child/children may have a different teacher each day.
- 4/5 day intensive course
- ASA Learn to Swim Pathway
- 30 minute lessons
- Ages 4+
- Maximum 5 children per group
For all upcoming dates and bookings, please contact Swim School of Oxfordshire:
For information on where your child is best suited please check the ASA website.
- All bookings are made in accordance with terms and conditions set by Oxford University Sport and Swim School of Oxfordshire
- Prices TBC October 2016
Which Group for Adults?
Use the following criteria, alongside information provided on the Amateur Swimming Association website, to decide which group to book into and get swimming! If you require further information, please don’t hesitate to contact Marie.Brightmore@sport.ox.ac.uk (or call 01865 240476).
Suitable for complete beginners with little or no swimming ability.
- Introduces participants to basic water skills and water confidence.
Develops stroke technique, breathing and introduces further water skills. To book on to Beginners you must be able to:
- Comfortably swim 1/2 length of front crawl, back crawl or breaststroke
- Fully submerge under the water for at least 5 seconds
- Tread water in the deep-end for at least 30 seconds
- Perform a ‘star float’ on your front or back for 5 seconds and regain an upright position
Intro to Improvers
Develops further stroke technique, breathing and endurance. To book on to Intro to improvers you must be able to:
- Comfortably swim 2 lengths of front crawl, back crawl or Breaststroke with appropriate breathing techniques.
Emphasis on consolidating stroke technique and applying drills to improve stroke efficiency and stamina. To book on to Improvers you must be able to:
- Swim 4 lengths in 3 of the 4 recognised strokes (front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke and butterfly)
- Have a basic understanding of turns and starts
For competent swimmers who wish to improve their technique, stamina, speed and endurance. This class is also suitable for those wishing to improve on race times, starts and turns. To book on to Advanced you must be able to:
- Swim 8 lengths in 3 of the 4 strokes (front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke and butterfly)